'A Little Bit of Holland in Saskatchewan'

Village Newsletter

July 31st 2015



Council:  We welcome Kyle Esquirol as our newest and “youngest” member on Village Council.  Kyle won the by-election on June 17th to fill a vacancy left by the resignation of Alderman Arnold Poole.  Kyle is interested in the betterment of our community and we look forward to his input on the administration and operations of the village.  At the same time, we would like to thank Arnold for his 14+ years on council.  Arnold was new to council when he was elected in 2000 and was instrumental in council moving forward on many projects and developments in the village.


Community Pride:  Council members are concerned about the increasing number of untidy and unsightly properties in the village which are affecting the amenity of the neighbourhood and the village as a whole.   Residents that have junked or dismantled vehicles, discarded household furniture and appliances, or garbage and debris in general on their property are being asked to have it removed and the property cleaned up before the end of August.  Anyone that does not comply with this request will be issued an order under the Village’s Nuisance Bylaw to remedy the situation.  If you do not abide by the order, the village will proceed to undertake action to clean up the property and all costs will be added to your taxes.


Raffle Licences:  Provincial legislation requires that any organization conducting a raffle must apply for a raffle licence at either the Village Office or with the Saskatchewan Liquor and Gaming Authority.  We recently received notification that the maximum prize value for raffle licences issued by the village has been increased to $2,500.  If your prize value exceeds $2,500 you are required to obtain a raffle licence from SGA.


Development and Building Permits are required before any new construction or building renovations are undertaken to ensure that the proposed construction complies with our zoning and building bylaws.  These permits are also needed for decks and detached buildings that are over 100 square feet. 

The village’s building inspector will review your building plans and conduct inspections at various stages of construction with the owner being invoiced for these inspections.  Decks and detached buildings will not be inspected, rather you will be charged a fee based on the value of the new construction. 

Moving or demolition permits are also required for buildings that are to be demolished or moved out of the village or onto another property.  If a permit is not obtained, the building cannot be removed from the assessment roll and you will continue to be taxed on it.   

If you are uncertain as to whether or not any of these permits are required for your project, please call the Village Office.


New Residential Subdivision:  We are currently at a standstill with the development of 28 new residential lots on the north side of the grid road going west.  This property has been subdivided and annexed into the village but we are not able to proceed any further until we hear if our application for a grant to install the sewer system and a small lift station has been approved.  We were initially told that they expected to start announcing grant approvals in the late spring of 2015, but it’s looking like it may be fall before we hear anything.   The outcome of our application will determine how council proceeds with this development. 


Transfer Station:  The year round hours of operation are Wednesday, Friday and Saturday from 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.  Upon entering the Transfer Station site, the attendant will complete an invoice with details of your tipping fees.  This invoice is to be paid at the R.M. of Turtle River office within 30 days.  Any unpaid invoices on December 31st of each year will be added to the tax roll.

Debris on Streets:  When cleaning your yard, please do not throw your grass clippings, leaves, tree branches, etc. out onto the streets.  Nor should piles of gravel be left on the street for an extended period of time as these items block the flow of water.


Internet Banking:  You can pay your sewer and tax bills through your bank’s electronic bill payment service.  If you are interested in this service, please contact your bank.  The Village Office will also accept post-dated cheques if you would like to make regular monthly payments on either of these accounts.